Great soup for a Sunday lunch. While you prep the carrots and celery for this soup, you can do extra for use during the rest of the week!
White Bean and Kale Soup
My boys love soup and they will eat canned soup every day if they could. I love it when I can make they a soup that is healthy and easy and know it didn't come from a can! They love this soup and don't even mind the green KALE in it either!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 quart canned chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (cannellini or great northern), with their liquid
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to 4 cups roughly chopped kale or swiss chard leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Baguette or toasty crusty bread
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes.
Add garlic and dried red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, beans and their liquid, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a bare simmer, add kale, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Discard the bay leaves. Use a hand blender to roughly puree part of the beans until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowl and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve with baguette or any warm crusty bread
Adapted from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/30-minute-tuscan-white-bean-soup-recipe.html