Broccoli Stir Fry with Chicken and Shrimp
Found this broccoli stir fry recipe that was so good, I needed to add chicken and shrimp to make it a dinner instead of just a side. I like this more than the chicken and broccoli recipe posted the other day.
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced or cubed PREP AHEAD
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined PREP AHEAD
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 1.5 lbs broccoli, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces PREP AHEAD
- 1 medium onion, slivered PREP AHEAD
- 1 scallion, chopped PREP AHEAD
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced PREP AHEAD
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped PREP AHEAD
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cooked white or brown rice for serving
Cook rice if not using leftovers
Whisk together 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add vegetable oil and swirl to coat the wok.
Add onions, chicken and shrimp and salt to taste (1.5-2 teaspoons for 2 lbs of protein)
Remove chicken and shrimp once cooked.
Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil, and swirl to coat the wok.
Once the oil begins to smoke, add the broccoli florets and stems and brown for about 2 minutes
Add 2 tablespoons of water to steam the broccoli, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender, about 2 minutes more.
Push the broccoli to the edges of the pan, forming an empty well in the center.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, then the scallions, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes, and stir until aromatic, 30 to 45 seconds.
Add the soy mixture, and stir until the sauce has thickened and the broccoli is coated, about 30 seconds.
Add chicken and shrimp back into wok and stir until combined and re-heated
Remove from the heat, add the sesame oil and stir to coat. Serve with rice.
Adapted from https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/simple-broccoli-stir-fry-3362921